Try to Remember

I forget things. Some things I wish I could forget, but can't. Then there are the things I wish I could always remember, like dreams and answers to prayer. Lately I've been remembering the pain that comes from loving and losing. I've forgotten how my prayers have been answered and that my dreams are coming true. I've forgotten about the times I've vowed to risk it all for whatever the case: adventure, service, passions, devotion and even love. I've forgotten how I've loved and been hurt, loved and been hurt, loved and been hurt and healed every time. I've forgotten how the impossibles become possible. I've forgotten the ones I admire and their stories of heartache, loss, rejection, brokenness and failures that lead them to their love, commitment, perseverance, strength and successes. Wow, how I've forgotten.

Today I spent several hours over lunch with my friends Troy and Nick, good buddies from high school. We caught up at a small Lebanese joint across from the county fairgrounds. We caught up on all things over the past two years while devouring our gyros and dolmas. It's fun that we've stayed in touch over the 10 years we've known each other. I admire them for what they're doing. Persevering through the hard things that God has brought them through. Nick was in a severe car accident when we were in college. Today he turned 26 and by the end of next year his goal is to walk without a cane. Doctors were fairly positive he'd never walk again, but he's too strong. I'm so proud. When we're together it's like no time has a passed, the accident has changed some things, but Nick will always be Nick. 

Troy is living in North Dakota mining out those dang oil rigs. It's always nice to see him again when he's home. Seems like he's always doing something far away. He was recently (in the past two years) on a mission trip in Africa and has good stories to tell about malaria. You know he loves mission work by the way he talks about it. It was good to see him on his week away from the North Dakota craze. 

As we shared our stories from over the years we were reminded how good God is. We are all here, we have good things to talk about, how blessed we've been, even through some of the hardest times in our lives God has worked. As I shared my lengthy story of graduating, teaching, heartbreak, Cambodia, and grad school, my friends reminded me that I was living the dream. I was doing what I've always dreamed of doing. How had I forgotten? How had I lived in a blur and forgotten about my dreams for so long? How did I forget what I had written a couple years back about Inciting Incidents

It's good to be reminded of the places we've been, the place we are, and the places we can go. I'm nearly finished with the best book I've read in a long time, The Promise of a Pencil by Adam Braun (slowly I'm finishing it, because I don't want to be finished with such a good book). In the last chapters I read rule #1 for the PoP (Pencils of Promise) organization that reminded me again: 

"Hopeless idealism in things that are utterly impossible is required to work here. If you want to be realistic, please work elsewhere. This is a place for dreamers." 

This is a good rule. I think I'll use it, and make it my own rule for the places I go, the decisions I make, the people I choose to be part of my life, the jobs that I accept, and the communities I form. We won't get far if we muddle in our realist doubts. We gotta dream people! Don't stop dreamin! Never stop. Try to remember the dreams you once had, and I will too! 


Comments

  1. This is just what I needed today Tina! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew there was a reason we were friends. We're both dreamers! You can't be a good teacher if you're a realist. I think that's impossible! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just the facts...

Gentleness

Holy Plans