Lines



There are many days that go by that I wish my awkward teenage students would just sit down on the edge of their seats and selfishly drink in the words that I have to say. But not just take the words for what they are, but read in between the lines that will give a glimpse of my story. No, our story.

I wish they would read between the lines of a young 20-something girl who wakes up every day before the sun with a passion that she doesn't quite have figured out and goes to bed every night seemingly a failure, still unsure. But one thing she knows is that she wants to love consistently and be loved just the same, to have a family of 5 or 6, a devoted husband and a warm community to raise her children with, and most of all to understand the love and patience of the Savior.

I wish they'd read in between about the girl who fights their same battles of accepting and loving herself before others, trusting the power of prayer, standing up for what is truth, living out grace, seeking success, and understanding that success doesn't come from being perfect, but from investing into the imperfections.

I wish they could pick up those gaps where lie hidden accents and dynamics in between her lectures and their sports practices. The staccato of love that she so badly wants them to feel and own. Or that quick aging furrow she wears at night in between grading high stacks of assignments and Skype calls with a boy whom she wishes were nearer, and when she prays to be a tool instead of a hindrance. Maybe if they learned properly both Spanish and English they'd understand her strong desire to build relationships and share that love letter for the first time.

If only she could teach them how to read in between the lines.

Comments

  1. Tina. You are so good. You are just so, so good. I love your passion for these students and your commitment to not giving up. That combination is going to carry you through this first year - that and this deep love God has for you and what you're doing. I resonate so much with those uncertanties and desires in this new job. We should connect about this stuff sometime soon, I think you and I are paddling along in the same boat. :) Love you Teens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina you're amazing. I think they see more than you think and I think they sense your raw passion and real-ness. They've got to. I miss you Tina. Stay strong and keep doing what you're doing. If you need some revitalizing read kisses from Katie and remember that it's about the love. What we teach is meaningless in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina this is amazing!! And you can teach them this... as you learn they learn we learn. Ahh tina I wish we could sit and talk over coffee. I need to come visit or you come here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just the facts...

ArgenTINA Here She Comes

Gentleness