Courage In A World Of Change

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, 
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference."

This last weekend I was in Walla Walla a place I call home, because I would like for it to be my home someday. Yes, someday. The University Church on campus held their first church camp meeting, and I would say it was a grand success, mostly because they didn't hire in any speaker, but gave the responsibility to our church pastors, who I would pay to listen to every Sabbath if I had to. So, I went to all six of the meetings that were based on the first 6 chapters of Joshua, with the weekend theme being: Courage in a world of change. In the first chapter of Joshua the Lord speaks to Joshua and tells him,

"Be strong and of good courage ... I will not leave you nor forsake you, so only be strong and very courageous ... Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

Is it clear yet, Joshua? Change is hunting you down, you're like a deer in its headlights. But listen here, without change nothing can progress. (Progress: noun. "To progress." To move forward to a better, more advanced destination).

Change. I know sometimes I think about change as a chance for freedom, when I think of presenting the idea to my parents that I am changing, growing up, needing some space, more trust and independent responsibilities. But I also think about change as a dangerous risk: graduating, committing to a steady job, paying bills, living alone, and eventually dying of isolation or confinement. Strength. Courage. Only Strength. Very Courageous.

There's no change like aged change.
Pastor Kris Loewen spoke about the fear of change during one of the final meetings. According to Kris, with the commitment to make a change, follows these three stages, in order:

1. Separation
2. Suffering/pain
3. Unity

With any change, whether a planned change or a surprise change, follows these three stages. When losing a friend or loved one, moving to a new place, growing up, or living through the end times we will probably scramble through these feelings. But the final stage is completely worth it all. It may take years (or even a lifetime) to make it through the first two, but the final intimate connection and fellowship will make it all worthwhile. The only way to scale the mount is to be strong and of good courage. Only strong and very courageous!

Comments

  1. Tina I love the picture first of all...
    2nd you have been thinking about the future lately huh?
    3rd those steps seem rough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina girl, you are in such transition. And I think you're handling it like a champ, thinking about things that challenge and scare you. Are you still in WW??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like step number 3 is the trail on the other side of the mountain in front of me. I liked the part of the passage, "God is with you wherever you go." That's comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking about you...and praying. You are going to LOVE it there....cuz that is what Tina does! And transition and change teach us so many AMAZZZING things...Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just the facts...

Gentleness

Holy Plans