Fired Up

Nothing gets me more fired up than women's rights and education. Since finals I've had more opportunities to catch up on news and I'm fired up when I read what's in front of me - education programs being cut and women being rejected, violated, and contained.

A few weeks ago I posted this documentary "Miss Representation" on my facebook:

"We can't be what we can't see" with women making up 51% of the U.S. population, yet compromising nearly 17% of congress.


The feedback I got from friends varied. Some wanted to discuss it in great depth. And others had little to say. One friend, being a male, apologized. What? When I asked him why he apologized, he told me that's the only thing he could do. Another male friend suggested that we consider each sexes views and opinions equally. Some people told me it was a waste of time, but others matched my passion on the subject. It's not that we need a pity party or to be considered equal. We just need to see that women can be intellectually successful leaders, equal to men. And I think that media has such a huge pull in this. If media would portray our female leaders as the self-confident, secure women they are, imagine what we could do. I'm not saying that women should take over the world. What I am saying is that women need to be heard as well. Throughout history some of the best wisdom, acts of kindness, and creativity have come from women. 

I've been reading another book by Eve Ensler, The Vagina Monologues, taken from her theatrical production of The Vagina Monologues, which launched V-Day a global non-profit movement that has raised $75 million towards women's anti-violence all over the world. V-Day raises more money than any other group in the world to stop violence against women, which has averaged $5 million per year, which is the approximate cost of 10 minutes of the war in Iraq. And one out of three women on the planet will be beaten or raped. And we wonder why women suffer from low self esteem, eating disorders, lack of confidence, power and leadership.

"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." - Alice Walker

Something to think about. Or do something about. 

Comments

  1. that stats of rape and abuse break my heart. people are so valuable, and i know i don't show everyone who crosses my path how valuable they are- but its a work in progress! i'm really glad you wrote this- it made me stop and think :].

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just the facts...

Gentleness

Holy Plans