ArgenTINA Here She Comes


These past few weeks have been spent packing, amazoning, moving, and preparing for a quarter at an Adventist college in Argentina. YES! I love going to new places! I get so excited that I sometimes forget to pack really important things (a toothbrush, underwear, shoes, phone chargers), or I forget to say goodbye to really important people, or finalize school registration, sign important papers, email professors, schedule flights (not good). I remember packing for my trip to India 3 ½ years ago where I was moving to teach at a boarding school for 9 months. I made a checklist, but only packed half the list and when I got to India, it was good that I packed light because I didn't need much and I lived out of my suitcase. But I wished I could have somehow packed in my bags some extra courage, a pop-up friend, or a teleporting device. Loneliness seemed to be the only thing that came out of my big suitcase. Today I read an excerpt from Henri Nouwen on loneliness: 

Riding on top of a bus in Nepal. 
Aloneness is a natural fact. No on in the world is like me. No one else feels and experiences the world the way I do: I am alone. As Christians, we are called to convert our loneliness in to solitude - not a wound, but a gift - God's gift so that in our aloneness we might discover how deeply we are loved by God. It is precisely where we are most alone, most unique, most ourselves, that God is closest to us, where we experience God as the divine, loving Father, who knows us better than we know ourselves. But the more I think about loneliness, the more I think that the wound of loneliness is like the Grand Canyon -- a deep incision in the surface of our existence which has become an inexhaustible source of beauty and self-understanding. The awareness of loneliness might be a gift we must protect and guard, because our loneliness reveals to us an inner emptiness that can be destructive when misunderstood, but filled with promise for the one who can tolerate its sweet pain. 

I read through my journal from India a few days ago, more like cringed through every page. But everyday I had written prayers for "strength and courage to face another desolate, lonely day." And everyday God would assure me, "I will never leave you, nor forsake you." 

I know Truth. And I'm ready to live in Truth! 

Tina's in ArgenTINA :) Flying out January 2nd. 
Email me! kristina.rhuman@gmail.com
Skype me! kristinarhuman

Comments

  1. Preach it sista! You better blog ALL the time, I want to feel like I am in ArgenTINA right there with you through each and every adventure! :) Love you lots girly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina! I forgot that you were gonna spend a quarter in Argentina. You're gonna have a blast! Loneliness is something that all of us who go to a new place experience. Those words by Henri Nouwen are so true. I know you're gonna love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see that you're going on another awesome adventure! I must admit, I'm a little jealous. Also, awesome picture. Whoever took that must be a fantastic photographer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I left a comment earlier, why is it not here?! I love you TINA! You're going to be in all these different countries in the next six months. And I can't wait to read about it the whole way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW...you are almost gone. Excitement. Oh my. You are gonna have such unique, fantastic experiences. Every day is new.
    I agree with Henry....loneliness or sadness, or hurt are only opportunities for growth and depth.
    I just added you on skype....i want to keep in touch. I will be talking to God about you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the part where it says, I will never leave you, nor forsake you. So interesting and so powerful. Christ is always there for us, and somehow, we can get so distracted with our own lives, what we're doing and we leave him. Then we feel so lost and wonder what happened to Jesus, when really....he's still there, waiting for us to recognize him and that like he said, he never left. We serve such an awesome God, creator. Thanks for sharing Tina!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't really know each other (we have mutual friends) but I am very glad for this blog about loneliness. I'm working right now in Tanzania and I've never felt so alone before. This Henri guy had some good stuff to say. I might look him up for more words of wisdom.

    Sorry about your leg and postponement of ArginTINA.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just the facts...

Gentleness

Holy Plans