For Kicks!



This morning I woke up to another rainy, gray morning, which aren't the best of mornings to wake up to when you go to bed feeling a little under the weather anyways, but at 5 am I read 112 pages under my headlamp for my Philosophy of Education and Language Development classes. Last night, I spent too little time busting out my personal philosophy of education and spent most of the day thinking about what I'll add to my next one. I went to the Graduate Fair for ten minutes today in between work and class, although I didn't see a program that jumped out at me, I am passionate about pursuing something more. I got to talking with my good friend Jacqueline today about my options ... I've almost finished the book A Chance to Make History by Wendy Kopp, CEO and founder of Teach For America (a national teachers corp that hires recent graduates to teach in low-income communities). Incredibly inspiring. I told Jacqueline today, "I'm not even sure I want to waste my time working for TFA, I just wanna start my own school and hire the best teacher's in the WORLD and make a bigger difference." I want to TEACH! I CAN'T WAIT to TEACH! These kids have gotta learn more than the books and academic standards require of them, it's gotta be integrated somehow, since they're not learning it at home. They've got to love, respect, and believe in THEMSELVES as well as their classmates. In order for them to learn all these things, they'll need to have demanding expectations for themselves so that they may develop into young men and women who can form their own credo, using the Bible as their foundation for such growth. Then they can become well-educated in all areas of study and be confident and accountable leaders. BAM! Like that! Maybe we'll call this school H.C. Academy, for kicks! 


And after I read 112 pages, I was inspired by this TED Talk:

 

Comments

  1. Me too! The Power of Vulnerability was soooo good. It stuck with me for days...which is saying a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We have in front of us a clear vision. If we wish to change a generation, if we wish to influence it either towards good, or evil, if we want to reawaken religion or add culture, whatever it is that we may wish to do, we must take the child…. The child gives us a new hope and a new vision.”
    -Maria Montessori

    You're gonna be a DANG GOOD teacher, Tina. Let's change the world, hey?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just the facts...

Gentleness

ArgenTINA Here She Comes