Independence in Reverse

When we lived in India, Kara and myself, every Friday evening after vespers we would saunter home enjoying the coolness of the dark. When we reached our home, we'd light a candle or two, heat up the water for hot drinks, and grab the hymnal. We'd sing in the dark of our house until our voices were gone, memorizing our favorite hymns. We're no church choir singers or anything, but two voices singing in harmony ... ah, it can't be beat. I remember the times we disagreed, they were long, silent, and lonely times, those times. I remember one time in particular, (I said it was Kara's fault, I think it really ended up being mine) but WE lost our mobile phone. So, the day when my parents usually call, I had no call from home. I was a jerk that day and Kara didn't put up with it. So we locked ourselves in our rooms, cause we were stubborn. But after 40 minutes I was ready to apologize and be friends again. But Kara kept her door closed. 2 hours went by. Then 4 hours. We went to sleep that night, woke up the next morning and never spoke. I remember just wanting to be in her presence, read in the same room, cook in the same kitchen, eat at the same time, nap on the same grass mat, walk down the same dusty road. It didn't matter if we were speaking or not, just being near, that was all I wanted. 


The more I grow, the more I realize I just want that nearness. I want company in those silent moments. When I'm reading, singing, or just napping, I love having someone near. I bet if Kara were in the states, this blog wouldn't exist. I might never have discovered this crazy desire for nearness. She comes home soon. I can't wait!

Comments

  1. This is goodness. I understand it because I feel it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for her to come back either!!

    Hey how about we take a nap?! seriously. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just the facts...

Holy Plans

Gentleness