Tuesday Morning

Tuesday morning I did what I like to do sometimes when I have a big test. I dragged my sore body out of bed at 5:00, threw on some clothes, and grabbed my spanish books, macbook, and car keys. It was windy with slanting rain that hit my coat on the way out my front gate to the car. I drove to Starbucks and walked in from off of dark Main St. at 5:32 on the dot. Mel was there sitting in his chair. It was good to see that things hadn't changed so much with the latest remodel. I slung my bag onto a table and took a seat next to him. "Tina, where have you been?... What's his name?" He joked (clearly). "How's Emily? Is she still in Africa?" Such pertinent questions, no wonder I like him, every time I see him it's like no time has separated us. We talked for sometime sharing bits and pieces from the past 2 months. "Tina, something I want to share with you." Ah, he's so wise, the wisdom he offers is worth a lifetime, a debt I could never repay. "My wife, Bernie, has recently been given one month to live, as she's dying from cancer. So I'm spending every moment I have with her, except for this time in the mornings, because I am here speaking for both of us. She was a minister you know. She traveled all over the world preaching. I miss her. You want to know the one thing I miss most?.... Our spiritual conversation. I was never lonely. We had great talks. I just pray that in her next life she will be blessed." I gulped, "Yeah, she will. I can't wait to meet her someday, Mel, it's going to be great when we're all together again."

Comments

  1. Oh man I like the verse, "Death, where is your sting?" BUT, a the same time, I just think its a little too poetic and unrealistic--because that sting IS there. Jesus wept when Lazarus died. And he knew how much hope there was. Oh I do want to do something for Mel over break. Let's think of something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories that I'd rather not dwell on fill my mind. I miss my friend. En paz me acostare, y asimismo dormire porque solo Tu, SeƱor, me haces vivir confiado. Salmo 4:8

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, death is everywhere. You guys figure out something good to do for this buddy and then do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet story!! They are So close....so connected. How old is he? I am trying to think what you might do for him. A soul restorer.
    Enjoy your holiday...take your mom on a wild date!! Ha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just the facts...

Gentleness

Thank you