Deceiving

Man, I wish I could sleep. I've averaged fewer hours of sleep this break than a regular week at school. I've got the crazy butterflies, the kind you get when something big is happening soon, only problem is nothing big is happening. Two nights ago I called to India and talked to my family. Jenny is getting busy with her wedding cake business, she said she needs her American daughter to come do the frosting, I always loved sitting on the floor and icing the big cakes. Subash had just come home from the Sunday morning market with some carrots and bamboo shoot, he reminded me of the time we made bamboo fry and someone accidently confused the Garo 'bamboo shoot' for 'bamboo children', and so we laughed until we cried. Then I talked with Pomchi, their only blood daughter, she was home on break from her school 4 hours away in Tura, where she's finishing her 12th standard and she's so excited to see what the future holds for her education, she's always been great at English, but it flows so naturally for her now. And there are several other children staying with them from the school and they also took a study break to say hello. The weather is cool there, and the river is low. I can imagine it's gray from all the crop burning. They told me to come again in March and to bring Kara because they have a room for us. "Dak play ding a," It's too hot then, I said with lots of emphasis on "play." But I told them I would try my best.  They were waiting to catch a bus to Krishnai, a bigger village, where they were going to make some larger purchases and visit relatives. I remember making that trip with Jenny almost every week, seems like yesterday. These crazy butterflies are so deceiving, they tell me something good is going to happen soon... maybe I've just been reading too many Emily in Chad updates, it's got me all excited for her.

Comments

  1. In the The Magicians Nephew- Chronicles of Narnia series, Digory and Polly take the apple seeds that they have retrieved from a tree in Narnia, and plant them in their own yard back in England.
    I would describe your feelings this way: "Sometimes [the tree] would move mysteriously when there was no wind blowing: I think that when this happened there were high winds in Narnia and the English tree quivered because, at that moment, the Narnia tree was rocking and swaying in a strong southwestern gale. However that might be, it was proved later that there was still magic in its wood."

    Maybe there is nothing "big" where you are, but your heart is tied elsewhere. It is so closely knit that you experience something from far away. You know, "deeper magic."
    (BTW: I am not crazy. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Anthony IS crazy. Actually, he's not. But he does kind of make me want to read Narnia. Almost as much as you make me want to go to India.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! Anthony you're not crazy for telling me about myself, without really knowing me... And Nick, do both! Read Narnia AND go to India! Thanks friends :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just the facts...

Holy Plans

Gentleness