In the library


Yesterday I was reminded of the ridiculous, all-time favorite game of truth or dare. The game was a popular choice for girls-only-sleepovers. We dished out dares like: run around the whole house in only your underwear, ask a stranger for their number, lick the floor, spray easy cheese up your nose, hold hands with the boy you like, drink toiletbowl water.  To be dared was fun. It was hard. So embarrassing. It took guts. But in the end, we were so cool.

Yesterday afternoon I spent quite a while translating and writing a paper for Eventos Actuales (Current Events) at a table in the library. I sat with my new friends Daniel and Christian. Daniel's in his 3rd year of Theology at UAP. He was born in Venezuela, grew up in the states and calls Argentina home for now. When he's finished with his degree he wants to be a missionary and teach about Jesus. Christian is an ACA student in his 2nd year of Business at Andrews University, taking a year off to study Spanish. We became friends early on when we discovered our shared love for ultimate frisbee, Christian music, and rock climbing.

I looked up after interpreting the essay that had been written about Cristina Fernandez, Argentina's president, and found Christian with his headphones in and Daniel with a high stack of books on Revelation. I didn't want to interrupt, but I needed some of Daniel's insight into this female president's business. She seemed like quite the joke. I couldn't wrap my mind around her purpose and plan or lackthereof. I hadn't been able to finish my first sentence before Christian intervened, assuring us that women were not created to be at the forefront of any country, and reminding me that her place was in the kitchen. Joking or not, my heart doesn't find that funny. Ever. Whether I like the lady or not. And so I put my hot face down, pried open my fingers from the fist they had formed, and finished up my paper without another word. I'm not sure what Christian continued rambling, but eventually our table was silent and blended in with the others. Out of the corner of my eye I could see my grammar book where Daniel had slipped me this note.
































Girls R Cool.

Comments

  1. What a man Daniel is :). I appreciate him so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer Daniel's position to the Christian one. (Yes, there might be a little double meaning in there. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just the facts...

Gentleness

Holy Plans