Smells



Smells are the best memory reservoir. The plane reminds me of being sick and soon after I feel sick! Bleh! So 21 hours in flight kept my stomach empty and my head aching. I sat next to a boy on my flight to Newark who was coming home for Spring Break from his Jewish school in Denver to meet his baby sister for the first time. He gave me an over head tour of New York as we flew over, the closest I've ever been to the infamous NYC, but I saw the Statue of Liberty.

I got to Delhi took a strong whiff of the humid, congested, body odor polluted air that reminded me of the big Indian cities. It made me feel dirty and tired as if on command. We drove to our hotel with the windows down, wind blowing my hair and it reminded me of all the times we travelled on the trains. When I took a shower later that night I finally felt clean again, until I saw the long, thick black hair laying on a shelf as if to remind me that nothing is ever "clean" in India.

We took a 5 hour drive to and from Agra to see the Taj Mahal. It was an excellent drive. It gave me time to think about being back, which made me feel as if I never left. My feet belong here, they recognize the dirt, the noise, the smells and they're ready to be back in the Northeastern jungles again.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just the facts...

Gentleness

Holy Plans